Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Using EQ Every Day



THE STORY OF A SHIP AT SEA (and ME)

I am back from my vacation! It was a great cruise, originally set for Cancun, then moved to Cozumel, and ultimately to Progreso.

The reason for the last change was some problem with the ship's ability to "speed." There was only time to make it to Progreso, MX.

I've been able to cruise a lot, and have seen many islands and places in Mexico. I use cruises as the ultimate relaxation, and often don't even get off the ship in ports. It depends.

I also use my EQ every day.

I observed on this cruise, various attitudes towards this change of plans. Let's just say I observed many attitudes.

Now to me, when you are on a lovely cruise, on a beautiful ship, with food available nearly 24 hours a day, even delivered to your ROOM, lots of people if you like people, and lots of solitude if you prefer to read, rest, hot tub, etc., many diversions, shopping on board, photographs, full-service spa, hair salon, and the lovely meals in the dining room ... couldn't you manage to enjoy yourself? No matter what?

Yes, they might lose your shirt in the laundry, or your meat might not be cooked right the first time, or they might use Tanqueray instead of Beefeaters, or your bed might not get made one day ... I've not heard any of these things happening, but I'm sure they do -- it's a CITY of PEOPLE ... 2,000 guests and nearly as many staff -- and things happen. Yes, they do. Even on your vacation.

I also visited with a staff member who had been on the ship working when it was holding policemen during the hurricane last year. He told me how they complained about everything, and trashed the ship. Each person had their own private room and all the services, the food and lovely surroundings.

Yes, this is bad manners. It's unpleasant and ridiculous to hear. It's rude. And it's also low EQ because of what it does to the person. You raise your blood pressure, you "ruin" your time, and that of the others who have to listen, you stress yourself ...

On the other hand, we have the high EQ people. I asked one smiling and cheerful woman if she was upset about the change of itinerary. "Are you kidding?" she said. "I'm on a cruise."
Another woman told me, "I would never ruin my own vacation."

Other people complained about seasickness. They were wearing the patches -- now there's something where you put foil on your hand (don't ask ME) . I feel NOTHING on a cruise, but the most gentle ... not even a "rock" ... just more pleasant than being on land. WHY would you go on a cruise if you were prone to seasickness? Does that make sense? There are a million other things to do. Certain amusement park rides DO make me feel nauseated. I don't apply a patch and defy reality. I DON'T GO ON THE RIDE. Some people seem to want to make things difficult. Not me!

But then I like to enjoy myself and hope to live a long and happy life, which brings us to two final points.

#1, I wish I had discovered cruising earlier in my life. It happens to be the most relaxing and refreshing thing in the world for me and it's smart to discover what works for you early on. I would have been a more pleasant person earlier on if I'd taken care of myself that way. It might be yoga for you, or climbing mountains, or bungee jumping, but find out what it is early on, and make use of this information.

And #2, here's a great quote from Henry Frederic Amiel to ponder: "To know how to grow old is the master work of wisdom, one of the most difficult chapters in the great art of living."

This is very much what emotional intelligence, EQ, is all about. I used to watch one of my grandmothers who seemed to be making it all very difficult on herself (and us). "Grow old gracefully," I told myself. I loved her more each day, and wondered why she wasn't feeling the same way. If she couldn't drive the car, I would drive her, I would walk with her, I would sit with her -- I adored the woman.

Resilience, sense of humor, perspective, positive attitude ... all part of EQ, and all of it can be learned.

Just give me a call at my NEW PHONE NUMBER: (817) 741-7223; or mailto:sdunn@susandunn.cc .

Waiting to assist you in making your life work better with EQ.

No comments: