Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Gallup Poll says 80 years olds doing well

I COACH EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE, DATING, RETIREMENT AND HAPPY TRANSITIONS

40 and 50 years olds with Alzheimer's? Well, you see, health doesn't relate to age as much as you think.

I just got a call from my friend in San Antonio. She wants me to drive down for a concert, and wonders if I'd like to do a cruise after the first of the year. She jots down my new address, for Christmas cards, and then has to "run" because she's gotta cook dinner.

Unusual? Only if you know that she's 91!

Most of my clients are in life transitions, and about half are over 50. From what I see, and what I know, 80 is the new 60, and 60 is the new 40. In fact I trained and certified an 80 year old gentleman as an Emotional Intelligence Coach, and he was dynamite.

Need another example? Look at how the latest Gallup Poll on "America's Elders" frames it: Life After 80 ...

And they find it may be better than you think.

This latest poll got responses from people with relatives 80 and older. They found that nearly half, 47%, were in excellent or good physical and mental health.

Why get coaching and age well?

  • US life expectancy is nearly 78 years, an all-time high
  • 85+ group will double by 2030, from 5 million to 10 million
  • Women still live longer

About 41% can walk on their own just fine, and more than 2/3rds live alone in their own home. There is a decline in the 90s, but by the time YOU'RE 90, who knows?

One of the best things you can learn through coaching is how to recreate yourself, gracefully and creatively. If you're approaching your sixth decade, feeling uneasy, and getting depressing advice, call me for coaching: 817-741-7223.

I practice and teach the statistically proven and research-affirmed skills that make for resilient aging. Start now and you'll be ahead of the game. What you do with your brain now is what matters. It's all about Emotional Intelligence. www.susandunn.cc

No comments: