Monday, December 29, 2008

Goleman Asks (and Answers) Why Aren't We All Good Samaritans?

If we are automatically wired to help other people, how come we don't more often, or even all the time? Daniel Goleman asks, and answers, this question in this video -- interesting that someone sent me this after the wonderful GOOD SAMARITAN experience I had recently. (Actually I have had them v. often, and I try and return the favors.)

Listen to Daniel Goleman, who wrote "Emotional Intelligence," on the topic of Good Samaritan-ism in his video, "Why Aren't We All Good Samaritans"?

He mentions doing research on marriage in the NY Times, and finding a woman, Alice, who had a simple Dating Test: From the moment they were together, how long did it take the guy to ask her a question using the word "you." The man she married did is almost immediately. Word!

Goleman mentions coining a word for when the person you are talking to suddenly whips out their blackberry or cell phone, totally ignoring you. Since the word is a poor choice, rather easily miscontrued, I will just point you to Daniel Goleman's blog.



Add to My Yahoo!

No comments: