David Chihuly is such an inspiration. He's a glass sculptor and entrepreneur.
My son, Chet, first introduced me to his work when he was at U Dub in Seattle.
Just look at the ups and downs of his life.
- Supported after high school by mother after his brother died in a flight-training accident and his father died of a heart attack
- Received BA in Interior Design, then MS in sculpture from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Studied glass in Venice on a Fulbright Fellowship
- Received a Master of Fine Arts at the Rhode Island School of Design.
- Founded the Pilchuck Glass School.
- In 76 in England, lost his left eye in a car accident
- In 79 dislocated his shoulder in a bodysurfing accident. No longer able to hold the glass blowing pipe
- Hired others to do it, saying, "Once I stepped back, I liked the view."
- Said it allowed him more perspectives, and also to anticipate problems quicker
- He describes his role as "more choreographer than dancer, more supervisor than participant, more director than actor."
You'll see his work in museums and botanical gardens all over the world, as well as in stores and in people's homes! Some dynamite chandeliers too! He also has 2 retail stores - one at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, the other at the MGM Grand Casino in Macau.