- Autistic people usually are poor at it, or cannot
- Abused children are more sensitive to anger cues than unabused children
- Heroin addicts and phencyclidine abusers have a decreased ability
- Cocaine addicts have an increased ability
- Men with major depression have significantly decreased ability to read nonverbal cues
- Obese women have diminished ability to read nonverbal cues
- Women with PMS have a diminished ability
- Serial rapists of adult women are very good at it
- Women who have been raped on at least two occasions by different perpetrators are very poor at it (see data below)
A Disturbing, Yet Cautionary Tale:
In research done by AJ Giannini, WA Price, JL Kniepple in International Journal
of Psychiatry in Medicine, it was found that males who were serial rapists of adult women had very high "nonverbal receptive abilities," while women who had been raped on at least two occasions by different perpetrators had "a significant impairment in their abilities to read these cues in either male or female senders." Adds wikipedia, " These results were troubling, indicating a predator-prey model. The authors did note that whatever the nature of these preliminary findings the responsibility of the rapist was in no manner or level, diminished.
Medical students going into family practice, psychiatry, pediatrics and obstetrics-gynecology were significantly better at reading nonverbal cues than medical students going into surgery, radiology and pathology. Internal medicine and plastic surgery candidates scored near the mean.
Common sense (EQ) would add:
- Successful trial lawyers are good at it
- Clinical psychologists are good atl research psychologists aren't
- Psychics are excellent at it
- Identical Twins are very good at it (see my white paper on this)
- Successful gameplayers are good it ("don juans," Ponzi-schemers and poker player)
- Accountants, engineers and IT personnel are not good at it
I work with doctors and lawyers to improve their ability to read nonverbal communication.
IF YOU CAN'T READ NONVERBAL CUES, IN THE BEST-CASE SCENARIO, YOU ARE "CLUELESS" AND IN THE WORST-CASE SCENARIO, YOU ARE A SITTING DUCK FOR PREDATORS.
Let me help you. Order the ebook, sign up for personal coaching. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org .