Tuesday, April 04, 2006

National Library Week








IT'S NATIONAL LIBRARY WEEK. LET'S CELEBRATE ONE OF LIFE'S GREATEST PLEASURES ...


I had a treasure greater than gold, for I had a mother who read to me ...

Do you read to your lover or partner?
It beats the heck out of Letterman for bonding & enrichment ...

"We read to know we are not alone." C. S. Lewis

"Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind. It stretches your own."
Charles Scribner, Jr.

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Joseph Addison

"The greatest gift is a passion for reading. It is cheap, it consoles, it distracts, it excites, it gives you knowledge of the world and experience of a wide kind. It is moral illumination." Elizabeth Hardwick

"If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me,
I know that is poetry." Emily Dickinson (herself the writer of poetry)

"A home without books is a body without soul." Marcus Tullius Caesar

"No two persons ever read the same book." Edmund Wilson

"If the riches of the Indies, or the crowns of all the kingdoms of Europe were laid at my feet in exhange for my love of reading, I would spurn them all." Francois Fenelon

"In a very real sense, people who have read good literature have lived more than people who cannot or will not read." S. I. Hayakawa

"What we become depends on what we read after all of the professors have finished with us." Thomas Carlyle

"When you reread a classic, you do not see more in the book than you did before;
you see more in you than there was before." CLifton Fadiman

"A MAN PRACTICES THE ART OF ADVENTURE WHEN HE BREAKS THE CHAIN OF ROUTINE AND RENEWS HIS LIFE THROUGH READING NEW BOOKS, TRAVELING TO NEW PLACES, MAKING NEW FRIENDS, TAKING UP NEW HOBBIES AND ADOPTING NEW VIEWPOINTS." Wilfred Peterson

Visit The eBook Library

No comments: