Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The Hope That Sustains



DO THIS FOR OTHER PEOPLE
WHENEVER YOU CAN ...
Everyone we know is carrying some unspeakable burden you may never know about.

Let me see your arm … hmmm … Your number starts with seventeen. In Hebrew, that’s “K’Minyan Tov.” Seventeen is a very good omen …”

(He was a priest. He wasn’t Jewish – but very intelligent!)

It ends with 13, the day a Jewish boy becomes a man…And look! Added together it totals 18. That’s “Chai,” the Hebrew number of life. I can’t know if I’ll survive this hell, but I’m certain you’ll come through all this alive!”

(I started to believe. I tell you, he put another life in me. And whenever it was very bad, I looked at the numbers of my arm and said, “Yes. The priest was right! It totals eighteen.”)

Art Spiegelman, Maus II

No comments: