Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Top 15 Saddest Songs of All



TOP 15 BREAKIN’ UP SONGS

Yahoo's list Cry Me A River: The 20 Most Heartbreaking Songs Of All Time! is getting a lot of comment.

They say:

For the last month Rock's Backpages has offered up a slew of sobworthy classics from all walks of pop. Country, soul, AOR, dance: you name the genre, we've scoured it for heartbreak greats. So get yer handkerchiefs ready... here's our tearjerking Top 20 , from the Everly Brothers to George Jones via Lorraine Ellison and Little Feat. --Barney Hoskyns, Rock's Backpages


It has songs like The Pretenders, I Go to Sleep, and Dusty Springfield's I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself.

Commenter are incensed that their favorite one has been left out. Here's a list from my Club Vivo Per Lei (I Live for Music) and there are 15 more I would add.

P.S. I do love their comment about Roy Orbison, certainly the most under-rated in his own life time, and a real force. He could easily transcend three octaves. On a recent cruise, where the entertainers were willing to sing requests for us, the audience, the wouldn't touch the Big O, who according to yahoo, "gives unearthly voice to what one only call terminality." Listen once again to Leah, which barely registered on ther charts in his lifetime.

Their #1 is George Jones, "He Stopped Loving Her Today."

We all seem to agree on the Righteous Brothers and Roy Orbison. But what about Elvis??? Which one of his would you put on there.

Oh well, we all have our favorites. Send me yours (comments).

(You can find all these one youtube.com BTW.)

15. Springtime in Alberta/Irving Berlin is 100 Years Old Today, Ian Tyson
14. Till I can Make It on My Own, Tammy Wynette
13. Red, Red Wine, UB40
12. Crying, Roy Orbison
11. You've Lost That Loving Feeling, the Righteous Brother
10. Kiling Me Softly, Robert Flack
9. Always on My Mind, Willie Nelson, Elvis
8. The Big Hurt, Toni Fisher
7. And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda, John McDermott
6. Only Love Can Break a Heart, Gene Pitney
5. I Fall to Pieces, Patsy Cline
4. Core 'NGrato (Ungrateful Heart/Catari), Pavarotti
3. Con Te Partiro (Time to Say Goodbye), Andrea Bocelli with Sarah Brightman
2. The Best I Know How, The Statler Brothers
1. Piscatore 'E Pussileco, Andrea Bocelli
Hymne a L'Amour, Edith Piaf
_______________________ your call (please take survey*)


Add to My Yahoo!

1 comment:

ZenDenizen said...

I recently blogged about the 20 saddest songs I know:

http://zen-denizen.blogspot.com/2008/11/suicide-watch-list.html